Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Photos of the Beach Hotel

After the trip to the beach, and the curving, nauseating six and a half hour bus ride, I got sick. Yesterday was bad, today was much better, but I am still afraid of eating much and throwing it back up. My family here thinks it may have been something I ate at the beach or possibly the ice in a drink. The danger of ordering a poolside piƱa colada made with freshly shaved coconut, and covered in freshly cut fruit which is made in a third world country, is the water used for the ice that goes into the blender is not necessarily safe for tourists to consume. In addition to being sick, I am painfully sunburnt, I have midterm grammer exam tomorrow and have to climb back on the bus the next day to head for the jungle on another 6 hour curving, cxlimbing, dropping trip. I have no doubt that it will be amazing, but the thought of getting back on that bus makes me feel nauseous already. On a brighter note, the beach was amazing. There was no blue sky, but when the sun broke through the clouds, it made us very happy that we had the clouds. It felt like my skin would burn off it I spent much more time under direct sunlight. We went on a banana boat ride, which was a blast. You throw eleven people on an inflatable tube, drag them behind a moter boat, and throw them off into the ocean and somebody is bound to get hurt. I am not sure if I hit a knee or an elbow or what, but I have a black bruise on my leg. Could be much worse, though. And it was definitely worth the experience. The ocean water was warm and I tried boogie boarding for the first time. Swimming was great, really nice experience to actually be swimming in an ocean, especially when you live in Oregon. We tried freshly prepared ceviche of concha and of shrimp, went dancing, swimming in the pool and the ocean, lounged in hammocks on the beach, and just had a generally fun and relaxing weeking. Granted, a few people started drinking as soon as they got up and ended their night hugging the toilet, they were the minority. The rest of us had a great time without going down that road. Although I did have my first swimming in a pool after midnight experience, which was great. A group of us went in late and the water was just so refreshing without being at all painful. It was a little on the chilly side when first getting in and when getting out, but overall we had a blast. I am only putting up pictures of the hotel because that is all I took pictures of. I wasn´t willing to take my camera to the beach when we have already had around 6 or 7 people get robbed. One girl had her clutch taken out of her hand right outside the hotel. But I am waiting to get my hands on more pictures taken by other people in my group and I will get them on here as soon as possible. For now, be sure to click on the pictures to see the close up, it is worth it. Wish me luck on my test tomorrow, and cross your fingers that my stomach will knock it off!





1 comment:

  1. I remember my first experience swimming in the ocean, too. It was in Mexico. We went out after midnight, too. That was crazy! Letting waves smack you and flip you over in the ocean when it's dark...a little foolish perhaps, but I would do it again! Never in Oregon, though, that's for sure. Oh, and waterproof, sweatproof sunblock is your friend! :) ~Bran

    ReplyDelete